Friday, September 20, 2013

The Music Department at Carleton University and the Royal Ottawa Place (a section of the Royal Ottawa Hospital) have established a new collaboration. Students of music from Carleton U. will go to perform in this residence, offering nice moments to the patients. It's a great opportunity to perform in public and at the same time to donate something extremely important to our Community. 

I've been volunteering since a while at the ROH, and I really enjoyed every single moment. Now I will also take care of the organization of this little music series. Today we opened the series with the first performance, by pianist Nick Fobes, 4th year B.Mus. student. It was a nice moment for all the persons attending and I'm looking forward to the next concerts! 


For all the Music Students at Carleton U.

"The emotional and human experience of listening to live music is a right that thanks to you can be available to persons that are facing critic situations. Don’t miss this opportunity, your skills can make someone else’s day much different!"

1 comment:

  1. Here Nick's thoughts about the experience:

    "I've often heard how music is intertwined with dance, but I've never experienced this so honestly until I performed for the Royal Ottawa Hospital. Before the concert had begun, I was testing the keyboard with a few rhythmic pieces, while sitting behind me was a patient who seemed like she wouldn't normally have been responsive. The minute I started playing, this lady begun dancing in her chair, moving her arms, and stomping on the floor to the sound of the music. I had never imagined such a thing would happen! A man who normally communicated only with sign language would laugh in joy as I played! Afterwards I could see a sort of brightness and clarity in the patients' eyes and smiles on their faces. I would definitely recommend my peers to take this opportunity and see the uplifting power that music can have on people. And I would perform here again in a heartbeat."

    ReplyDelete